Carrot Spice Cookies
There are two things that send a crisp fall feeling to my taste buds: spiced anything and root vegetables. Spiced lattes or spiced muffins or spiced cobblers and pumpkins, carrots, turnips, squash, etc. That’s how I tell my mouth that the leaves are a rainbow of colours and winter is just around the corner.
I first tasted carrot muffins and the Square One Farmer’s Market in Mississauga…it was on a first-grade field trip to learn about harvest and farms and crops. My mom made my first carrot cake following a recipe straight out of her trusty red Betty Crocker cookbook. But carrot cookies… I had never had those before.
And so I decided to tinker with different recipes…taking the best of a carrot cake recipe and bits of various cookie recipes plus some of my baby boy’s pureed carrots to get this scrumptious result. Top it off with some cream cheese frosting, and this warm,cozy cookie will be your go-to on a cold afternoon with a glass of milk.
- 2 1/2 cups flour; all-purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup carrots; pureed
- 1/2 cup carrots; grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts; chopped (optional)
- Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla. Mix in well after each addition.
- Mix in the carrot puree.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Stir in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Chill for 1-2 hours minimum. For best results, chill overnight.
- Drop by the spoonful (about 2 tbsp each) onto a cookie sheet. Space them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350F until the edges are just starting to crisp.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with a generous dollop of the Cream Cheese Frosting. Enjoy!
- Turn this into pumpkin spiced cookies by substituting pumpkin puree for the carrot puree and omitting the grated carrots.
- Substitute different types of chopped nuts such as pecans.